Wednesday 21 December 2011

RGM writes ... Down the memory lane

Sengottai takes me to my childhood. I know that we moved into Sengottai after I was born. So my entire formation happened in Sengottai. Looking back after all these years I am still happy about that. Why could that be? I recall my childhood growing up with lots of friends to play with; do all kinds of things silly and not so silly. I recall playing all kinds of games, out of which, some like baseball – I played the ‘softball’ version – turned out to be very popular games elsewhere.

I recall the days when we played cricket like we will not live for another day and breathed it day in and out. I recall how I had to wait for the ‘oil’ bat that my father bought after his ‘bonus’ arrived. And then the batting practice at home with a swinging ball tied in a rope that was tied to the ceiling in the house.

I went from days when I desperately wanted to be back in home from school, clinging to whoever came to school that day to pick me up, to days when we played merrily at school and walked back to home chatting away with no worries.

Holidays were time to explore the town going from the Vambalanthan mukku, to Muthusamy park which also had a mini-gym, to Nithya kalyani temple where the nearby fields and the playground were pleasing to the mind and the body. Once I had a bicycle, I rode up to Tenkasi via Courtallam and Ilanji enjoying the sight. You can always enjoy a drink at the 'Mor madam'.

-RGM


A Note from the Editor: 

I request all well-wishers and members of Sengottai Foundation to write about their experiences and nostalgic moments for this blog. The theme could be anything related spatially to Sengottai and its neighborhood, and temporally related to the past, present, and future. It could be your own experiences or could be an interesting historical anecdote. The post could just be a list of landmarks in Sengottai. 

By now, Dear Members, you know that you can write about anything. Please do not worry about the length of the post; even a couple of proverbial words is good enough. 

Language is also not a barrier - You can write in Tamil, English, Greek, Latin, etc. We will take care of the transliterations and translations. 

Thanks to RGM for his inaugural contribution to this blog. I hope you are all now rushing back to take your pens and pencils. If you are good in painting and drawing, you may contribute that too. Please send your writings, arts, paintings, etc. to the email id given on the side panel.
 ____________________________

1 comment: