Tuesday 17 January 2012

SN writes ... My Thoughts

I register here some of my thoughts, both partial and complete, when I think about Sengottai ...

  • Name cannot be erased from my memory till my last breath.
  • Place from where I started seeing the world as a child.
  • Lived near the railway station (Viswanathapuram or Thachchan kudiyiruppu - a small quiet village) while growing up.
  • Started my schooling step at the famous A G English School with ever-caring, humble and respectful teachers. Excellent coaching. My English today is due to this school. Gave me a bunch of true friends and I am continuing the friendship even today.
  • Vanchinathan Bus stand and the beautiful park I passed through daily on my way to school. Big siren inside the park used to remind us every hour of passing time.
  • Every day journey to school from my house was very pleasant.
  • One day (1973), I got Rs. 50 as a treasure near a water pipe at Toll gate junction.
  • I cannot forget a day before Deepavali. I gambled my savings Rs. 5 thinking that I could win and buy more crackers. Lost all in "Vettu Cheetu" near Chatram rice mill... Sad, is it not?
  • Finished my primary schooling and joined SMSS Govt. High school. There opened a new horizon in my life. Got into new environment, new friends, new teachers - Totally new. I felt grown as a boy.
  • Cannot forget that day, as a sixth standard boy, when I got the first prize in singing competition defeating all my seniors.
  • Only here, at SMSS, I entered into the world of fascinating game of Cricket. Thanks to my friend, Ravi Ganesh, who explained to me what's that all about. Got selected to school team with a sixer shot which landed in the adjacent Chatram building. PT master Sri. Jaganathan Sir told me, "you are selected." I was on cloud nine.
  • From that day I breathe, eat and live cricket, even today at the age of 45+. In one class match, I scored 204 runs not out with my partner Laxmanan scoring 65 runs.
  • Occasional cane beatings from Balu sir for coming late, scolding from other teachers for not doing assignment and not answering their questions. Class rooms changed every year - enjoyed the days as a school boy thoroughly ...
  • Then came the year 1983 and we moved to X 'C' class near the entrance of our school. My final year in the school! Came March - Wrote exam and became SSLC PASSED WITH 86%!!
  • Time came when I had to leave this wonderful place to make a new journey to take the next level of my education.
  • These are just a few wonderful moments from Sengottai, which I will cherish for the rest of my life ...
  • I will keep registering my thoughts.

    -SN
    _____________________________

    1 comment:

    1. Thanks SN for walking down the lane with vivid details. You must be very lucky with the 50Rs find, because, my parents made me retrace the whole route up to Janatha theatre to find the 5Rs I lost. I was able to locate that 5Rs to my relief!!

      ReplyDelete